Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Miracles...

Yesterday evening, the boys & I were jamming to some worship music in the car and Truman says to me:

"Mommy, you sing pretty!"

My first thought was: Awwww... that's so nice of him. Isn't it wonderful to receive compliments? And, my, how my little boy has a sweet spirit and loves his mama.

Honestly, my second thought was: OH NO! My poor little Truman has absolutely NO ear for music! I guess he won't be a musician of any sort when he grows up.



I realized what I was thinking & had to laugh out loud. I am certainly not a great singer - in fact, when I was young, I would sit next to this middle aged lady in church occasionally and cringe at the awful sounds coming out of her mouth during worship (the "make a joyful noise" verse could be applied here - but I'm not even sure God thought it was a good sound). I literally used to pray every day that God would allow me to have a singing voice just good enough that when people sat next to me at church they wouldn't wish they had sat somewhere else. Well... God answered my prayer - and with not a bit more than I asked, I'm afraid! To my knowledge, people don't avoid sitting by me in church due to horrible singing, but I certainly haven't been asked to use a microphone while singing either!

Lord - I pray that Truman would have musical talents & abilities when he's older and would STILL think that his Mommy's voice isn't horrible! (I believe God still performs miracles...)

[ps. As I re-read this post, I realized that people might think the "middle aged lady" is my mom (since I sat by her in church almost every Sunday) - but it is NOT you, Mom! My mother has a wonderful voice and is also a talented pianist.]

No comments: