Friday, January 4, 2008

Sweet Home Illinois...

Home is where the heart is. I have been dreaming lately of what it would be like if we moved closer to our families in Illinois. I think those dreams have been spurred by a general feeling of disconnect with our friends here (hopefully to be remedied by my new job) and by losing my grandmother. This trip to Illinois was a proving ground. Did I really want to move back home or am I really just dreaming? I know that living close to family brings drama - lots of drama - and other issues that you don't get when you pop in once a year or so. But, I also know that there's nothing compared to having blood relatives around when you need them. Our church family has been a family to us and one that we hold dear.

When we were in Illinois for a visit, I was reminded of the following:
  1. I love my family and Tommie's family (quirks and all...)

  2. I do not want to live in the same town (or within an hour) of either side of the family

  3. I like living just far enough away that it is special to go visit

  4. I do not like freezing temperatures

  5. I would like to visit family much more often

  6. I love airplanes

  7. I really dislike the section of drive that falls between St. Louis & Oklahoma City

  8. And upon returning home, I love our city and state, our church, our friends and our home. This is home.

After all of my observations, this is my conclusion:

I would like to request that Texas and Illinois be made closer in geography - the drive from St. Louis to Dallas should be 4 hours or less. (Sorry everyone who lives in Missouri & Oklahoma!!) Or, I would like to request that we seriously make it a priority to fly on an airplane from now on!!!

Of course, an airplane doesn't have views like this (but rental cars do!!):

2 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

It's always good to regain perspective. Sounds like you all had a great trip but were glad to get home ... and we're glad to have you back.

Unknown said...

Cute post, Amy! My bil and sil live in OK City. We were suppose to have gone there at Christmas --- we may have passed each other along the way! :) How much farther is it past OK City? We still plan to go there in the next couple of months. But I am really really hoping we fly. Even though I dread flying, it's so much better than driving with kids, as you can probably attest to! :) Glad you had a nice visit but I'm glad you also know where your "home" is.