Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Community

Community is such an important word. What's the saying? "No man is an island." or something like that... God intended for us to live & breathe community. He created us for relationships and a network of relationships constitutes community. When I first had children and I was staying at home full-time, I remember thinking about how I would not survive unless I had people surrounding me who were experiencing similar things on a daily basis. My mom's group saved my life & my sanity. The daily chores of keeping a household (laundry, cleaning, etc.) are sometimes mundane and suck the life right out of you. I think the frontier and tribal women have it right - they would cook together, wash their clothes in the river together and rear their children together. I have always found chores easier when I am with a friend. That is what community is all about. Living your life WITH others, or as many churches like to say "doing life together." Sometimes, it's not so much about the intimate meaningful interactions, but about the day-to-day "mundane" interactions (though both are important).

I've heard it said that you know someone is your true friend when they have free access to your refrigerator. Another friend of mine says: "If you are coming over to see my house, please make an appointment. If you are coming over to see me, stop by anytime." When you allow community into your life, you allow others to see you for who you really are. You are inviting others to examine the deepest parts of you and most of the time, when you are honest enough to invite someone to see you for who you really are... they are going to be humbled and honored instead of judgemental.

Community can be found in many places. I have found that finding and being a part of a community requires effort and self-sacrifice. But in the end, the rewards are amazing and well worth it! Last night, our small group shared the most amazing time together - praising our God, worshipping together, and sharing from our hearts. wow. I'm humbled and honored to be a part of that community.

Unity is a core component of community. Unified for a specific purpose or time. I'm amazed at the communities that God has allowed me to be a part of - no matter where I live or what I am doing at the time, God's community is always present. You just have to seek Him and look around.

"that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." John 17:23

No comments: