Friday, January 4, 2008

Here Comes Santa Claus!

We don't celebrate Santa at our house. I was not taught about Santa when I was growing up and we have continued the tradition in our home. We teach our kids that Santa was a very nice man who gave presents, but that Christmas is all about Jesus and His birth. I have heard of St. Nicholas Day celebrations and have desired to celebrate with my kids, but haven't done it yet (there's always next year). When you decorate for Christmas, you use both nativity scenes and Santa decorations. Then, on December 6th, you throw a St. Nicholas party - complete with Turkish food and coins in shoes (the origin of stockings). At the end of the day, you take down all of the Santa decorations and celebrate only Jesus' birth until Christmas Day.

Anyway... even though we do not celebrate Santa, I think it is hilarious that my father-in-law looks exactly like Santa when he grows out his beard. People actually stop him in Wal-Mart and restaurants to have their kids say "hello". He moonlights occasionally as Santa just for fun. Because we went home to visit at Christmas for the first time since we've moved to Texas, I requested the Santa beard. So, my father-in-law began growing it out this fall. We got phone calls telling us the progress of the beard. When we arrived, my kids were amazed when they realized the big, jolly, red-suited guy was really Poppy!


Santa's after-party suit says "Does this suit make me look fat?"

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That's so funny! He does look like Santa!

Amy said...

That is great! I think he makes a great Santa!