Monday, December 8, 2008

Old Friends

I visited my parents' house last weekend, where we attended a Nutcracker performance and I got together with a couple of old friends. As usual, I didn't get any photos of my parents & I spending time together. I also didn't get any pics of my friend, Heather, and her kids.

Heather & I have known each other since we were little girls. Her family moved to central Illinois from northern Kentucky and started attending our church. We quickly became friends & spent the night with each other often. We continued our friendship through Jr. High (her parents were youth leaders)... but I'm not sure what happened after that. I suppose we were just becoming different people by then. I have kept up with her & her family via my mom, but had not spent any real time with her since early high school. We became Facebook friends recently & thought it would be fun to get together. So, Truman & I went to their house on Saturday for a couple of hours. It was as if no time had passed. I was amazed at how we slipped back into our friendship like 15 years had not gone by! She & her husband are amazing Christian people and have two wonderful children. I'm so grateful for Facebook and reconnecting with old friends!

I also got together with another old friend on Saturday evening. Andrea and I met in 6th grade and were "best friends" for many years - we even had the best friends necklaces. We went to school together, had slumber parties and were cheerleaders together from 7th grade to our Junior year. Our brothers (who were 3 years ahead in school) were good friends too. The last time I saw Andrea was at our 10 year high school reunion. She's not on the internet much and I don't call as often as I should... and we somehow let 4 years slip away. I knew that I would have time to see a few friends this weekend, so I hunted for her phone number (I didn't know if I even still had it). I called & it was immediately just like old times. When we got together, it seemed as if no time had passed. We ate dinner at our "usual" - Carlos O'Kelly's. I cannot tell you how many times we have eaten there together! Then, we walked around the mall for awhile. I cannot tell you how many times we have walked around that very mall together!! Then, we didn't want to wrap up the evening so early, so I convinced her to go to Starbucks. They just got one in town within the past 3 years or so and she had never been. So, I introduced her! I am so grateful to have friends who have known me for many, many years and accept me for who I am. I am also grateful to live close enough to see some old friends more often. It was a fun weekend of re-connecting!

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

How fun that you got to see old friends. I can't believe your friend had never been to Starbucks ... I didn't realize that was even possible.