Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Day 2: Advent Calendar

A couple of years ago, I was searching for a good advent calendar for my kids. They weren't very excited about the "lift the flap to see a Christmas scene" ones. I finally found this one on clearance at my favorite coffee shop - Starbucks. It is made of red cardboard with boxes in the shape of a Christmas tree. It had chocolate in it the first year, so I've just refilled it each year with small pieces of candy. We rotate through the boys each day - oldest to youngest. When the box is empty, you turn it around & it makes a lovely Christmas scene when all 24 are done.
I also stole a neat idea that I found on my friend Randi's blog yesterday: Gum Advent Calendars. I ran out to the store to buy gum & got everything prepared before the boys got home from school. There are 12 pieces in each package, so each boy gets two packages to equal 24 days until Christmas. They love it & are so excited about getting a piece of gum each day!

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I'm glad you did the gum calendars ... I thought they were so cute and different! Wish I could take credit for the idea.