Monday, December 8, 2008

Day 8: Our Very Own Santa Claus

Please join us in the 25 Days of December Challenge, issued by my friend Stacy.
Everyone asks where Truman's red hair comes from. Tommie's dad used to have red hair. Now - it is white. In fact, when he grows out his beard, he looks an awful lot like Santa Claus. Little kids would come up to him in resturants & ask their parents if he was Santa. So, he bought himself a Santa suit and dresses up for a couple of events each year. Sometimes, my father-in-law comes across as a grumpy old man, but when that Santa suit is on - he basks in all of the attention and really enjoys spreading the Christmas cheer! It has been so fun to watch the grandkids and how they react to grandpa dressed up. I don't even like Santa, but I love watching Lyle interact with the kids. We moved to Texas in 2003 and had not been home for Christmas until 2007 (last year). So, I specifically requested that my father-in-law grow out his beard for the occasion. He humored me and we all had a great time with our very own Santa!
Baby Olivia doesn't know what to think of Uncle Lyle's costume. Olivia is Tommie's cousin's baby. Tommie has a small family, so when we get together with his family, it includes his grandparents, aunts & uncles and one cousin.
Santa Lyle with his grandchildren - our boys and Kierra (minus Elexis) and great-niece Olivia.
Before too long, the Santa suit comes off and the more comfortable clothes come on.
His t-shirt says "Does this suit make me look fat?" :)

A couple of days later, Poppy has trimmed the beard, cut his hair & is back to his normal, non-Santa self. Truman & Poppy - see the family resemblance?

2 comments:

Julie said...

O wow. I had not even read your comment and said to myself, "There is no denying those 2 are related!"

Great Santa.

Amanda said...

That resemblance is unbelievable! Who knew y'all created the Santa for the next generation? :)