Saturday, April 26, 2008

Hawaii

Aloha! I'm just sitting here thinking about my mom & dad and how they are spending this week at an awesome resort in Hawaii. (No jealousy here!) *wink* They lived in Hawaii for 3 years before they had children. My dad was a nuclear engineer on a Navy submarine. He would go out on the boat for up to six months at a time, while his bride (my mom) would await his return. He cannot talk much about those years, because of the highly secretive nature of what they were doing. We still make jokes that he was a rare plant salesman (reference to "Meet the Parents" for those of you who don't get it!). They had a long distance relationship and when they got married on October 18, 1969, they flew to Hawaii a few days later and were gone for 3 years. When they returned, they settled in a small town in Nebraska where both of my brothers and myself were born.

My mom & dad have not returned to Hawaii since they flew back to the mainland in 1971 - 37 years ago! Some friends of their own a timeshare in Hawaii, visit every year and invited my parents to travel with them this time. They were excited to return and see all of the changes the past 37 years have brought. My mom & dad are some of the most thrifty people I know and don't take big vacations. They finally splurged on a vacation for themselves. I hope they are having the time of their lives! Love you, mom & dad - take lots of pictures!!!

No comments: