Saturday, April 12, 2008

Ah, the sweet sounds of...

NOTHING!

I'm sitting here on this lovely Saturday morning listening to the beautiful silence. Tommie & Franklin are camping this weekend, the other two boys are at a friend's house and the two puppies are outside romping around. I'm enjoying this morning's alone time much more than last night - probably because I know it will be over very soon.

It's interesting to me that sometimes we complain about something and when we finally get our way, we don't like it. I often think about how I would really enjoy time to myself in my own home with no one else. I complain to Tommie that he needs to do things socially, so I can be home without him. He's such a homebody. Last night, I had that opportunity to be home alone and what did I do:
7:30 - ate dinner with a friend & walked around an outdoor shopping center chatting
9:30 - visited Blockbuster to return movies & rented "The Bodyguard" - a movie I love, but Tommie doesn't
9:40 - talked on the phone to a friend, considered dropping by to visit
10:00 - returned home to let the puppies out
10:05 - too tired to watch a movie, don't want to waste my "alone" time by sleeping, so I decided to give the puppies a bath
11:15 - finished bathing & grooming and clean up
12:00 - fell asleep watching TV with a sleeping puppy on my chest
12:15 - woke up, let the puppies out, put them in bed and went to bed

I guess I'm a lot more boring than I thought I was!! When I was in college, I would have found a group of friends that wanted to go bowling or to the coffee house, then wandered around or hung out at someone's apartment until 3 or 4 a.m. playing games or cards without even considering bedtime. Okay, maybe I'm not boring - I'm OLD!

I really enjoy time alone at my house during the day or for one evening, but simply knowing that Tommie & Franklin won't be back until Sunday and the other boys wouldn't be home until Saturday morning made my time bittersweet. I am a social creature and though the noise and chaos that frequents my home sometimes drives me nuts, I do not want to live without it!

(p.s. I sure hope Tommie is taking lots of pictures on his campout, because I missed a prime opportunity to get wet puppy pictures!!)

4 comments:

Julie said...

Sounds great.

(I actually got to take a nap today!) Woo Hoo! I love naps.
Dean went grocery shopping last night for me so today I had time to snooze.....)

Jenny said...

It was a fun evening! Good to just sit around and talk and window shop- thanks for asking me to join you!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

You'll appreciate the noise when they're back ... but right now your quiet house sounds very appealing to me!

amy said...

Randi - come on over! :o)