Saturday, January 3, 2009

A New Challenge

I loved the idea of my friend Stacy's 25 days of December challenge. By publicly proclaiming that I was going to do the challenge, I was held accountable to follow through. Now that the dust has settled from Christmas and the sale/purchase of our home, I'm feeling the pinch of our new income - bad! So, I'm trying to find ways to cut back. When Tommie & I discussed where all of our extra money went - he said "to the local eating establishments". As much as I don't like to admit that, it's true. We normally eat out every Sunday after church, but more & more often - we find ourselves grabbing a quick bite while running errands, or ordering in food when pinched for time. Plus, we enjoy ordering pizza at least every other week. Well, it adds up - FAST!

My new challenge for myself: not eating out for the entire month of January.

Can I do it? I'm not sure. But, I know that my chance of success is much greater simply by posting it on my blog.

Be sure to follow along with me as I struggle through an entire month of figuring out how to cook at home for every meal. I don't think that I've ever cooked a meal for after church. Ever. I'm not promising that we won't eat cereal or frozen meals - I just want to see how much money we can actually save by resisting the temptation to eat out. Frozen pizza (no matter what brand) is cheaper than ordering delivery. (By the way, my Starbucks gift card does not count against me! It's not cash out of my pocket!!) :)

Until February, goodbye Sonic Happy Hour, goodbye McDonalds with Truman, goodbye Sunday lunch, goodbye pizza delivery, goodbye mom's night out... I will miss you, but my checkbook will not!

(If you would like to join my challenge, please post a comment. I don't expect anyone in their right mind to join me, but who knows! I thought I'd throw it out there!!)

5 comments:

The Dogs said...

YIKES but good for you! It is a lesson in obedience and discipline. I am doing something similar. I am giving up sugar for this month. I have to be honest, I have already failed a couple of times but I am confident, with the Lord's help, I will be successful just for today.... After all, we only have today to be obedient. Congradulations and please keep me updated on how you are doing!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I'm not joining you, but I commend you! You'll get an added benefit to eating at home: a healthier you!

Jenny said...

Wow- I will NOT be joining you, but I am excited to follow your progress! I am sure you can do this. Good luck!

Amanda said...

I'm not joining you either. We're cutting back -- not cutting out. I will tell you, though, Gayle at The Grocery Cart Challenge (see my sidebar) does the same thing, and has some great tips. She feeds her family of 6 for about $50/week, and hardly ever eats out. She cooks/prepares breakfast and dinner and has tips for easy lunch ideas. Check it out...

Stacy said...

Oh, how I'd like to join you, but I don't think I have the willpower. I'll be checking in on you though.