Monday, January 12, 2009

January Challenge: Update #2

The challenge is going well so far. Yesterday, I almost caved. I had intended to run to the grocery store before church to pick up a side dish for lunch, but forgot all about it. Right before we went to church, I grabbed some fish & fruit salad out of the freezer. After church, I was feeling a little bummed about the fact that my kids hate the fish & I didn't have a lot to offer them to go along with it. (Part of my challenge of "being good" with our finances includes cutting back on the grocery budget, so our pantry was a little light. I had not shopped with Tommie's check from Friday yet.)

Anyway, our choices were to stop by Wal-Mart and grab some things (at 1:00 on Sunday afternoon with hungry kids in the car). Or, grab some fast food and go home to eat it (to save money from buying drinks). We were discussing which restaurant to get food from. And, Tommie said that he really didn't mind waiting in the car, if I wanted to run into Wal-Mart. I felt like a planning failure, but I knew I would be more upset with myself if I ruined the challenge because I didn't plan out lunch.

We stopped at Wal-Mart and ate a really nice meal at home. We had raspberry tilapia, bread, mac n cheese, and frozen fruit salad. Yippee!

I've got room for improvement, that's for sure!! So... the grade I give myself for the 2nd Sunday without eating out: B

I also sort-of cheated on Friday morning. (My friend Marsha says it wasn't really cheating...) We met at the Y to work out, then went to Starbucks for coffee (with my gift card). I had not eaten yet and get really shaky if I drink coffee and work out with no food in my tummy. So, I used my gift card to buy a slice of bread. Technically, it was not money out of our budget! However, it could have been avoided by grabbing a granola bar before I left the house.

Saturday evening was a victory! Tommie & the boys were going to the Monster Truck Rally and I was having people over to scrapbook. Instead of getting the house dirty by eating supper at home (after cleaning all day), they would have gotten fast food. I had an opportunity to eat at a restaurant with the girls ahead of time also. But NO! We prevailed and ate at home.

Accountability is good for the soul. I think I'm doing pretty well so far... Day 12 and I have not spent a dime out of our budget at a restaurant. :)

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That's great - you're doing so well with it!