Monday, January 19, 2009

January Challenge: Update #3

Well, this challenge seems to get easier & easier. I'm learning how to plan ahead & how to not give in to the temptation of ordering in or grabbing fast food when I'm in a pinch. Self-discipline is not one of my strong suits, so this really has been a challenge for me. I'm all set on coffee - McDonalds is trying to steal all Starbucks' business, so they sent me coupons for 8 (yep, EIGHT) FREE drinks. And, I still have about $16 on my Starbucks gift card. I don't think I'll be spending money on coffee anytime soon! Thanks, McD!

Sundays continue to be my biggest challenge. Yesterday, I was planning to make pot roast with veggies in the crock pot. Well, I got up and about around 8:30 a.m. and headed downstairs to put the roast into the crockpot... and I realized that I had thrown it into the freezer earlier in the week (since I have a tendency to buy meat & let it go bad before I cook it!). So, we needed to eat lunch in 4 hours and the meat was frozen. Nice! I thawed it most of the way in the microwave, then threw everything into the pot and turned it on high. Let me back up, while I was cutting the meat, I noticed that they had "tricked" me by making the meat on top look very lean, but the underside was about 1/4 inch thick fat. I had a heck of a time trying to even cut the meat. So, it should have been no surprise at 1:00 p.m. that the meat was not tender.

Anyway, we ended up eating Spaghetti-O's and chips for lunch. Then, after the boys' Cub Scout program at the Y ended, we ate our pot roast dinner (approximately 8:00 p.m.). After 4 hours in the crockpot on high and an additional 7 on low, the meat turned out fine. I mixed up some brown gravy and it was a pretty yummy dinner. I'm glad we waited to eat it until it was yum.

The grade I give myself for our 3rd Sunday without eating out: A-

One of these days, I'll figure out how to have a yummy home cooked meal immediately following church. Either that, or the challenge will end and I'll finally be free to pay someone else to cook a nice meal for us!! ha, ha

Tonight, I made a chicken pot pie - WITHOUT A RECIPE. If you know me (at all), you know this is nothing short of a miracle. I don't like to cook. I don't cook much (at least pre-January '09). And I certainly don't cook without a recipe. And every member of my family liked it!! Miracles never cease...

This Saturday brings another day of cooking with my friend, Paula! We're going to do the 30 Day cooking thing again... so this Sunday lunch should be the easiest yet, right?

2 comments:

Kim V. said...

I most like the part about "every member of my family liked it". That would be a miracle at my house!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

You're doing so well with the challenge! I love hearing the updates.