Sunday, January 4, 2009

January Challenge: Update #1

Well, today was the first Sunday for as long as I can remember that we did not eat out after church. On the way home, Harrison demanded to know why we had to eat at home today. How do you explain crazy notions to a 7 year old? I grabbed a package of frozen soup out of the freezer this morning before I went to church (at 7:00 a.m.) and asked Tommie to throw it into the crockpot for me. No work necessary. Unfortunately, it was too frozen to cook thoroughly before we ate at 1:00 p.m. Bummer! So, we ate side dishes and lots of salad. I'll throw the soup into the oven on another day and cook it thoroughly before we eat it again!

Grade for my first Sunday without eating out: D

I'm also bummed because I didn't look at the calendar before I started out on this challenge. There are FIVE Sundays in January - NO FAIR! lol

This morning at church, the boys learned about resourcefulness. The definition they were given: "using what you have to get the job done". I suppose you could directly relate that to the concept of not eating out. Using what you have, rather than buying something else. Or utilizing the income that you have wisely. Somehow, I think this challenge will not be painless, but I do know that it is good for my family and I love a good challenge! I leave you with the verse the boys learned today:

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." ~Colossians 3:23

3 comments:

Julie said...

Don't laugh too hard at my suggestion. What about good ol' fashion sandwiches for lunch? We eat them every single day for lunch. Well, I think Dean actually goes out for lunch on Fridays but I eat them EVERY single day! :) It gets boring; however, I am cheap and refuse to pay fast food prices during the work week.
Good luck!

amy said...

Great idea, except that my hubby rebels against sandwiches. Probably because he has them at least 5 times per week! lol Yesterday, we had hot dogs for lunch & fried egg sandwiches for dinner... so I was trying to be a bit more fancy. ha, ha

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Good job, Amy ... one day down!