Tuesday, December 11, 2007

When what you think you know comes into question...

I have been a Christian for most of my life and I think that I have a good grasp on what the Bible teaches for the most part. I'm terrible about memorizing scripture references though. So, it's always interesting to me when someone challenges what I believe. I have been taught & I have researched for myself what the Bible teaches about tithing. Tithing has been a practice in our home since I got my first allowance, so it's not something that I sit around and ponder - it's a habit. So, when a friend challenged my belief that tithing is the first 10% of your income, my response was... uh, I believe that it says 10%... I know that pastors didn't just make that part up... yes, I know that it is specifically 10% somewhere... but I couldn't point you to an exact verse right now. Not exactly the holiest or most knowledgeable response... :o) Thank God for www.biblegateway.com. Within 5 minutes, I had a list of verses to back up what I knew was true. I'm hoping that with enough study & memorization, by the time I die I might be able to back up something like that without running to the internet or the references in the back of my Bible! In the meantime, I'll keep my mouse handy...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to know! Have to check that out. Thanks for the tip!