Thursday, December 20, 2007

Almost there... and other random thoughts!

Well, we're about 16 hours from take off... the presents are purchased & wrapped (all but a joint gift for my brother & sister-in-law - still not sure what to buy for them!!!), most of the Christmas cards have been mailed (waiting til morning to call my mom for ONE more address), the last load of laundry is in the washer and our family room looks like an explosion of neatly folded & sorted clothes (ready to go into suitcases tomorrow).

I feel like this has been finals week of college. For work, I had to write two grants - one was due today by midnight and it was finally finished and submitted online at 7 p.m. The other one is due January 1st, so I've got to finish it before I leave tomorrow. My brain has been so wrapped up in statistics, budgets, program planning and writing... the one grant application had over 2400 words (yes, I used Microsoft Word's handy-dandy word count to check). Yikes! It has been like college all over again - got to get these "papers" done before I can go home for Christmas!


Today marks the 10th anniversary of my college graduation from Western Illinois University!
I worked in Sherman Hall (pictured) as the student assistant in the Vice President for Student Services office for 3 years...



7 days from now (December 27th) marks the 10th anniversary of my wedding day! (This is one of our engagement pics...) Yes, my only wedding. Yes, to Tommie. It IS Tommie in the photo. I understand that it doesn't look much like him... but it IS him! :o)



Tommie received disappointing news today... his brother's family is not coming to the family Christmas. Tommie only has one brother who is about 2 years older than him. They have completely different personalities & interests and have not been particularly close over the years. However, they have not had a disagreement or strife to the point of disliking each other. The last time we were home to Illinois for a visit was 2 1/2 years ago. We had a family gathering and Tommie's brother did not come. To his credit, he does work nights and had worked the night before and needed to sleep. Then, we met some friends & Tommie's parents for dinner in the SAME town his brother lives in and he chose not to come. So... it has been 3 1/2 years since we have seen his brother and it looks like it will be several more. My husband is not an emotional man, but I can see that this really bothers him. It is pretty sad to not drive across town to see your only brother when he hasn't been in town for a couple of years. Apparently, my sister-in-law planned her family Christmas event for the same day. I don't think that either of us will "miss" Tommie's brother's company (he's a difficult person to enjoy), but it's the principle of the matter. Especially when you only have one brother...

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Girl, you need to split these posts up! First, that DOES NOT look like Tommie! You look the same, but he looks so young! Secondly, I'm glad you're ready to go. I know you have to be so stressed out. Lastly, I'm sorry about the whole brother thing. That's hard, and I wish it were different for you...

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I'm laughing at Amanda and her blogging standards. She's right, of course.

I think that looks just like Tommie.

Sorry about Tommy's brother. Families can be tough.

Amy said...

Yall are all 3 funny. And, notice Randi's "paragraphs" even in her commenet. So organized!

Amy... I am sorry about the family-stress! I have a few situations similar to that in my extended family. I just don't get how people can almost forget that they are FAMILY!

Hope yall have a safe and super-fun trip! Merry Christmas!