Friday, April 10, 2009

Thoughts on Good Friday

Honestly, I've never really thought that much about Good Friday. I think that I'm usually so wrapped up in preparations for Easter that I neglect this very important day. Sure, I think about Jesus dying on the cross and communion, but not specifically Good Friday. Today, I had extra opportunities to think about what Good Friday means to me and why it is important to celebrate.

This morning, Franklin (9) was getting ready for school and he said, "Well, this isn't such a good Friday. We still have school!" That offhand comment really got my attention. I was offended that he had reduced the crucifixion of our Lord and Savior to a meaningless comment about having to go to school. Then, I wondered why on earth he would do that? Did he not recognize the importance of Good Friday? Have my kids learned nothing from the Biblical instruction we've done with them? Then it hit me. Do I recognize the importance? Do I share the importance with my children?

So, I asked him - "Do you even know what Good Friday is?" To which he replied, "Not really." WOW. In all of the times that we have talked to our kids about Jesus and what He did for us on the cross, how did we miss this key information? I suppose we like to skip right over the death part and go directly to the resurrection without passing GO. So, we had a little chat about Good Friday and the significance thereof and how it doesn't really matter that a snow day caused you to have school today, you can still focus on Christ and His sacrifice today. I think he got the point and I'm pretty sure I did too.

I pray that I will never again casually think of Good Friday as a day off of school/work or a "travel" day to see family or a day to finish last minute Easter candy shopping... but that I will truly STOP WHAT I'M DOING and reflect on Jesus' death. I've spent so much time pondering Jesus' death today that I'm REALLY looking forward to celebrating His life on Sunday!

Whenever I truly stop to meditate on God's Word and the fact that Jesus DIED on the cross for MY sin, I always walk away in awe and feeling humbled. There is nothing else to do BUT worship.


"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:12-13

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son." John 3:16-18

"It was now about the sixth hour, and darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour, for the sun stopped shining. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two. Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last." Luke 23:44-46

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Growing up, Good Friday was a really sacred day. A quiet day of reflection, a church service with the cross draped in black ... it was very meaningful and forced you to reflect. I think we've lost a lot of that. I really wanted my kids to reflect this year too ... and did more of it myself. There has never been a greater sacrifice.