Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Mission

Yesterday, our family volunteered at the local Rescue Mission. We have searched several years for a mission opportunity that the whole family can participate in. We finally found one! I didn't take many pictures, so I took a photo of the free t-shirt we received for helping out.

Each year, the rescue mission gathers donated canned food items & volunteers hand out the food. Each person/family that receives a Thanksgiving food box participates in a church service, then comes outside to the tent to receive their box of food (including a turkey). A volunteer assists with each family - sliding & carrying the box, while going down the "assembly line". Volunteers on the opposite side of the family put items in. I was handing out canned corn, while Tommie & the boys helped re-stock the yams, corn, peas & beans. It was a lot of fun & the kids were able to help out too!

My favorite part was interacting with the people who were receiving the boxes. So many of them were so grateful and happy! It makes my heart happy to see that something so easy for us to do blessed so many people. Sometimes I am such a spoiled brat that I get fussy when I don't get exactly what I want. These people were so happy to receive a small box of food - something that we take for granted daily.

I do not post this to brag about our family's involvement. I am humbled and think that I received just as much from the experience as those receiving food. I am reminded once again:

"...remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"
Acts 20:35b