Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

Yesterday at school, the boys each had the opportunity to vote for the next President. The school is going to give the kids the result today, before the real election is done - so we'll see how accurately a bunch of elementary school kids are in predicting the next President! Based on my kids' votes, I'd be interested to see what kind of "education" they received about each candidate ahead of the vote.

Franklin (9) voted for John McCain. He had no clear reason why.

Harrison (7) voted for Barack Obama. He said, "McCain steals stuff from people. That's what the kids in my class said."

Truman (5) voted for John McCain. He said, "I voted for the J guy, because he went to war. I think I want a president who likes to war."

I sure hope the general American voting population is a bit more educated about the lives & policies of each of the men running for president. My personal opinion is that we cannot expect to have good choices for President, if we are not paying close attention to our local political races. Where do you think presidential candidates come from? They had to start somewhere. If we carefully screen our local, state and federal representatives closely and vote the right people in, we have a good chance to get a better presidential candidate in the future. That's my soapbox, now I'm stepping off of it! I'm going to go stick my head in the sand - let me know when the decision is final...

2 comments:

Julie said...

Sadly, many voters know as much about the candidates as your children.

I'm with you. No tv for me tonight. I will hear about the winner tomorrow at work.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Wise words - from you. The kids - not so much. :) Loved their quotes.