Saturday, November 3, 2007

Texas Football

I love football! I was a cheerleader throughout junior high & high school and I have grown to love the game. I usually only watch one game on TV each year - the Super Bowl - but I will watch nearly any sport in person. Football is a great sport, but sometimes the high school level isn't that exciting. If you can make a statement like that, you haven't been to a Texas high school football game! Texas Football is a whole other big deal!
My first experience with a Texas football game was the Hebron Homecoming game last year. Wow - of all of the games to go to, homecoming was a zoo! A friend of ours was coaching the freshman team and assisted with the varsity team's games, so we went to support him. I have never seen anything like it. The high school bands around here are state & national champions, so the quality and size of performance is amazing! Someone told me that one of the bands had over 900 kids in it - NINE HUNDRED! My entire high school had 350 kids in it. And, in Texas, BOTH school's bands perform during halftime.
Plus, all of the homecoming mums... Wow! When I was in school, we had mums for homecoming too. It was a pretty white flower worn on the lapel with your school colored ribbons on it. Festive and simple. Not Texas mums!!! Here's a pic of a girl I saw last year at the Hebron game... This mess of ribbons, letters, fluff & stuffed animals?!?! is what they call a mum here in Texas! The mums get so big that you have to hang them around your neck with a thick ribbon or they will rip your shirt off. :o)

Truman & I at Hebron's game last year...

This year - Anna, our favorite babysitter, is in the Marcus HS band, so we wanted to go watch her perform. When game day arrived, Truman and I were the only ones who wanted to go - so we were off to watch Marcus play Hebron. It was a great game! Hebron has won the last 26 straight district games and Marcus was out to prove that they could defeat Hebron. Marcus won 21-10. At halftime, we were entertained by both bands, but again, Marcus proved that they were the better band. Marcus HS band is the defending state champion and they showed us what a state champion performance looks like! Can you find Anna in this picture? :o)

Here's a pic of Truman and myself from this year's game...

No comments: