Saturday, November 3, 2007

Halloween!

Wow... this has been a busy week! The kids had so much fun on Halloween, but we had a hard time taking photos of them this year. I guess we were all so busy having fun! The festivities began with a parade at Truman's school.


Then, we invited our neighbors over to eat pizza and trick or treat together... I'm telling you - sometimes I really wish we had a little girl! Their little princess stole the show at every house! :o)


Here's a pic of all of the "kids" in costume... :o)


The weather was perfect, so we went a lot further into the neighborhood than last year. Hey, more candy to share with mom & dad, right?

Growing up, we didn't celebrate Halloween. I had never dressed up in a costume or gone trick-or-treating until college. Maybe that's why it is still fun & exciting for me too! I understand why my parents took the stand that they did and I respect their decision. However, I am all about spreading the love and the spirit of giving to others. This year, instead of having one person stay home to hand out candy, we "reverse" trick or treated. I took the bucket of candy with us as we walked and handed it out to everyone we saw. It was really fun to see the faces of the people at their houses handing out candy when I handed them some gum in return! Several people said, "No one has ever treated me before!" I loved it!

I still have a hard time when it comes to the evil side of Halloween. It is a struggle to teach the kids that it is okay to dress up and eat candy, but not to emulate evil characters or enjoy scary or disgusting things. I wish we could create a separate holiday where you dress up in fun, nice costumes and hand out candy without all of the death, devils, witches and evil stuff. Where's Hallmark when you need them?!?!?

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

You guys all looked so cute! I love the reverse trick or treat idea!