Friday, August 15, 2008

Getting Desperate...

I guess I'm officially desperate for new friends. Today, I met this nice lady at the McDonald's play area that had a son about Truman's age. She mentioned that she had just moved to the area from about 3 hours away. She seemed really nice, so I gave her my phone number. I felt like I was asking her out or something!! ha, ha It's so awkward and strange to meet someone new & try to strike up a friendship. I can honestly say that I've never handed out my phone number to a perfect stranger before, but I can also honestly say that I hope she calls! They live one neighborhood over from our new one and her son is in afternoon kindergarten at our elementary school. I'm hoping that this is the beginning of a friendship - Lord knows I need one! We've lived here one month and two days now & I'm starting to talk a little bit too long to the cashiers at the check out lane... knowwhaddamean?

4 comments:

For The Girls said...

Oh, it must be so hard being in a new area. You still have one more year of MOPS or have you thought about a Mothers in Touch group?

Elizabeth said...

Aw sweet girl, I cannot imagine. Hang in there...you are so loveable, friends will flock soon!

Amanda said...

I know how that goes. When we moved here, I was completely lonely until I met this girl Amy who took me under her wing. She had three boys with presidential names and we just hit it off. Oh wait...

Seriously, I understand. I was very lonely when we moved to the Metroplex, and now that we've moved away from our close circle of local companions, I often feel lonely again.

To work on relationships locally, we make sure to go to stuff at the library (book clubs or storytime), rec center, pool, etc. I had some mommy cards printed at Vista Print, and I'm not shy to hand them out from time to time.

Don't forget about Yahoo groups or Meetup.com. Those may be great resources to find a local church, where you know you'll make even more relationships. You could perhaps even mention to the boy's teachers that you're new in the community and would love to connect with other parents. They could probably suggest some playdate playmates.

Praying for those Godly connections. I know you "sowed" some, so it's time for an abundant harvest.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I hope you quickly find a great group of friends!