Friday, March 6, 2009

Slacker & Company

Apparently, I've been slacking! I finally peeked at my blog today and realized that I have not posted in March yet - oops! I guess I'm a big slacker... and this week has been fairly busy.

Here's an update on what I've been doing and thinking about...
  • I have worked out at the Y four times this week - yes, FOUR! That's a big accomplishment for me. :)
  • I have had some sort of a nasal drainage issue this week, which worries me... because I spent 16 days of February down & out with various illnesses. So far, it's limited to drainage, a dry cough and a slight sore throat. Here's hopin' it doesn't get any worse!
  • Our "old" friends came to visit last weekend!! They were scheduled for two weeks earlier, but I had to cancel due to above said illnesses. When they arrived, it was immediately as if we had not spent time apart. It was so wonderful, because we had not seen them since July 2005.
  • We filed our tax return and are contemplating taking a "real" vacation. This is unheard of in the Payne household... We are trying to figure out where we could go & what fun we could have with $500. The rest is going into savings, of course!
  • I'm doing some consulting work for church HR stuff & babysitting on Monday afternoons.
  • I'm still trying to figure out why I can't seem to find a "real" part-time job and trying to be patient in the process. (I didn't pray for patience, God!!) :)
  • In January, I joined BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) and we are studying the life of Moses. I've been a Christian since I was 4 and I don't think I've ever really studied the early books of the Old Testament. I'm amazed at what I'm learning and so grateful to have this opportunity! The main thing we've hit on lately is grumbling & complaining (of which I'm guilty way too often), so I've been trying to curb that bad habit.
  • I'm working on trying to be content with where I am right now and not focus too much on the things I want to change. I want to be joyful in all things, but sometimes I am too busy thinking of the future and how I expected things would be different to enjoy the moment.
  • My "new" friends are not feeling quite as new anymore. I love them dearly already! We are making memories together and I'm very grateful for that.
  • We re-instituted a discipline system with the boys that has brought more peace (I won't say complete peace, but more) to our household. It has definitely resulted in less yelling and threats of spanking.
  • I'm antsy to get more household projects finished. Spring is in the air & I'm ready to get the saw buzzing (but not too close to my thumb!) and the paintbrush swinging to get the rest of this stuff DONE! Man, I really love spring. My attitude and mood have certainly improved from a few warm, sunny days. Sometimes I wish I were a bear, so I could just hibernate in the winter! (I'd probably be less grumpy!!)
  • Franklin & Harrison started tennis lessons last Friday at the Y. They are so excited! I'm excited because the teacher is a tennis pro and is very strict (aka. the boys might learn something).
  • Upon reviewing this week, I think the main reason why I feel so good right now is because I've been proactive this week. Not just surviving or functioning day-to-day... but planning ahead and staying on top of things! That makes my heart happy...
  • Oh yeah - and we made calzones for dinner. YUMMY!
Here are some photos from the past week...
Dave, Em & Will came to visit!

Truman & Lucky cuddling. When Lucky is a little sleepy,
she'll lay on her back & let us scratch her belly for hours!
Picnic & playdate at the park - Hooray for SPRING!

1 comment:

The Dogs said...

YEA!!! Sounds like a very good week. God is good, all the time, even when we think differently.

Enjoy the spring days. I know I am!