Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

Today was one of the most fun Mother's Days that I have ever had. We spent the morning at church, followed by a professional baseball game. (Yes, I chose to go to a baseball game on Mother's Day - no bribes were involved, it was purely voluntary!) [Pictures to come later!] Each year brings a newfound appreciation of the blessings of having children. I know that there are many, many ladies out there who would give their left arms to be able to have children. I am grateful to be honored with a day called Mother's Day, but mostly, I am grateful to be called "Mom". My boys are the greatest joy in my life, the greatest challenge and through them, God has shown me my faults and has drawn me close to Him - what better way to get to know God than through the eyes of a child. Being a mom truly is the hardest job on earth, but it is worth every moment...

Today, I am also grateful for my mom. My mom is the greatest mom I could ever ask for. She is my best friend. She loves me with an unconditional love - way more love than I deserve. We went through a rough period when I was in my teens, but once we stopped living in the same household, we have gotten along wonderfully! ha, ha This morning at church, I was reminded that not everyone has the privilege of having their mom in their life anymore. Even though my mom is way too far away (15 hour drive), I am so grateful that she is alive & well and an active part of my life. I have never wished to have a different mother, but I'm sure there are plenty of kids I knew growing up that wished they had mine.

Here are 10 things I love about my mom:
  1. She listens to me.
  2. She loves me unconditionally.
  3. She has a compassionate heart - especially for girls in crisis pregnancies. She volunteers one day per week counseling young ladies at her local crisis pregnancy center.
  4. She is loyal.
  5. She is faithful, even through hardships. Even when my mom has struggled with a friendship or a hurtful situation, her faith in God has never faltered. She makes God a priority in life.
  6. She loves my dad. This year, they will celebrate their 39th wedding anniversary. Not many people are fortunate enough to have a stable, Christ-centered marriage example in their lives.
  7. She is creative. Growing up, we spent a lot of time crafting, quilting and sewing (ok, she spent a lot of time sewing & quilting... I resisted the temptation to learn those skills!) ha, ha I did manage to pick up some of the crafting genes.
  8. She has a teacher's heart. Even though she is "retired" from the teaching profession, she spends a lot of time teaching others out of her gifts and talents (like sewing & quilting).
  9. She is wise. (Sometimes, she shares her wisdom more often that I'd like, but she's nearly always right! - don't tell her I said that!!) She has gained wisdom not only from life experience, but from the Word of God.
  10. She is MY mom. God knit me together in my mother's womb and he knew that she would be the perfect mom for me.

I love you, Mom! Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: